Over the holidays, with more time spent together, some families begin discussing the idea of senior living communities. Though Mom or Dad could raise the issue, it’s more likely prompted by adult children who notice changes in their parents. (See our recent blog post on these “tough conversations.”) Older parents can be reluctant to consider a change, possibly feeling they’re doing just fine at home.
Often, parents’ reluctance to consider a senior living community is based on misperceptions or stories of poorly managed communities. So, on their first visit to Country Meadows, many are surprised by our broad array of pleasant sights, sounds, scents and tastes.
Delivering the unexpected and rising above industry standards
Here are just a few areas where we routinely exceed expectations by surpassing the norms accepted by most senior living communities:
- Affordability (we’ll help you do the math) – Seniors and their families are surprised when they find out they can live at Country Meadows for a cost that’s comparable to living at home. Use our cost comparison sheet and bring it with you when you meet with an admissions counselor.
- Nurses on duty 24/7 and medical directors at every campus – We also provide therapy, wound care and 24/7 telemedicine to keep residents comfortable at home as much as possible. This isn’t the case at most independent senior living communities and personal care residences because it’s not required. But we go the extra mile to further safeguard our residents’ health and safety.
- Widest variety of activities (some will surprise you!) – These include creative outlets like painting, photography, jewelry making, baking, beer brewing, singing, and gardening; many volunteer opportunities; bus trips to museums, concerts, casinos, and sporting events; and fitness and exercise options, including yoga (even with a therapy goat on occasion).
- Meals with a personal touch and local favorites – Residents meet with campus dining directors monthly to give feedback and suggestions for meals, including local specialties. Chefs and dining staff offer several choices at every meal, with food served at residents’ tables by pleasant staff. And special orders don’t upset us—our seasonal specialty menu lets residents to indulge in a culinary delight—does filet mignon or lobster tail sound tasty?—any night of the week.
- Abundant and experienced staff – On a typical day, our staff numbers exceed state requirements, giving us a higher-than-normal staffing ratio for care and support services. Country Meadows co-workers are professionally trained, and we pride ourselves in their overall longevity of service.
And that’s not all. Read about more unexpected ways that Country Meadows makes retirement living “fresher, tastier, safer, livelier, friendlier—just better.” Better yet, come experience us yourself and enjoy the individual delights of each of our campuses. Be sure to ask our team what their personal inspiration is about what makes that campus a little unexpected.
Get our guide on senior living options, including senior living communities
If you visit Country Meadows—and we hope you will—you’ll see that we strive every day to maintain our reputation among the top senior living communities in Pennsylvania and Maryland. If you have any negative perceptions or stereotypes of senior living communities in mind, we think we can erase them. We believe that senior living communities aren’t just for people who need care and support but are also for seniors who want to live full, active lives for as long as they are able.
We can guide you in better understanding senior living options with our free guide, “Navigating the Maze of Senior Living Options, which you can download or pick up at any of our 11 senior living communities.
If you’re considering a move to an active senior living community, please contact us with questions or to schedule a visit. We would be glad to introduce you to any of our Pennsylvania senior living communities—in Lancaster, Hershey, Mechanicsburg, Pittsburgh, Wyomissing, two in York and three in the Lehigh Valley—or our senior living community in Maryland, located in Frederick.