When arctic cold temperatures move in, remember to be extra mindful of older loved ones and neighbors to be sure they have what they need to weather a cold snap.
Pay these folks a visit and check:
- Is his/her home heating system in working order?
- Are heating devices being used that could pose a fire or carbon monoxide leak risk?
- Does he/she have an adequate supply of medications, medical supplies, oxygen, etc.?
- Does he/she have an adequate supply of water, food and non-perishable food that can be prepared without electricity?
- Does he/she have clean drinking water on hand?
- Does he/she have a designated emergency contact person?
- Does he/she have access to a phone that works if power is lost? Is the cell phone charged?
Simply paying a visit may save a life.